August 30, 2011

More Management Careers

Here are the last of the management careers that I've chosen to highlight.  I hope you enjoy - there are some great careers!

Lodging Manager
Overview:
  • Oversee day-to-day operations of hotels or motels
  • Make sure customers are provided with their desired experiences
Skill Set:
  • Able to communicate with a variety of people
  • Problem solver
  • Ability to remember details
  • Calm under pressure
Other Information:
  • Usually work with employees instead of only directing
  • Expected to have little growth in the next 10 years
  • Average salary: $53,500
    • Opportunity for big bonuses with good performance

It's outstanding that lodging managers work closely with their employees instead of sitting in their office and "barking out" orders.  I've always liked to lead by example and give instructions only when needed.  I also like the idea of working to make people more comfortable during their stay.  I think this would be something that I would really enjoy.  My only concern is that I have expressed an interest in planning projects or events.  I feel this career might end up being more of implementation of the same plan, instead of making new plans to accommodate changing needs.  I still think it's a great career, but I don't know if it is at the very top of my list.

Management Consultant
Overview:
  • Think of ways to increase company's profit and productivity
Skill Set:
  • Strong communication skills
  • Works well with others
  • Problem solver
  • Able to juggle projects on tight deadlines
Other Information:
  • About one quarter are self-employed
  • A lot of growth in the next 10 years
  • Competitive job hunt
    • Graduate degree and sales skills are helpful
  • Average salary: $85,000

What a great career!  As a consultant, I would constantly be working on new projects.  I would be analyzing and problem solving all the time.  I would work with a lot of people, and I would make a difference in the companies that I consult.  On top of this, there is expected to be a lot of growth in the career, and the average salary is pretty notable.  I realize that it will likely be a lot of work and very competitive, but I feel that I want to learn the industry well enough to put forth the effort needed.  Very cool!

Top Executive
Overview:
  • Run a business or organization
  • Combine knowledge of industry with business intelligence
Skill Set:
  • Able to analyze lots of information
  • Strong leadership, communication skills, and ability to motivate
  • Balance of being flexible and decisive
Other Information:
  • Lots of travel
  • Average salary: $167,280

The skill set for this career really speaks to me.  I feel that I would be able to fit a role like that quite well.  However, I feel that being a top executive would be a hard career to go for as a twenty-something young man just getting into the working world.  I hope that I can move into management positions throughout my career and maybe become a top executive at some point, but I don't see it as being my career path at this point in time.  Check back with me in 30 years, and you might hear something different ...

Well, I hope you've enjoyed the ride.  That concludes the list of careers that I wanted to explore.  I've enjoyed a lot of what I've seen.  Now, I'm going to take a look back at the careers and try to narrow down this list to a top three.  Tune in to find out my "dream career"!

No comments:

Post a Comment